1934: Free Spanish and French Classes

Free Spanish and French classes were being offered to Worthington adults in 1934, and Tiny Little’s orchestra was leaving town for the winter. Does anyone have any more information on Tiny Little’s orchestra? Search engines fail to turn up anything useful, at least for me.

Edit: Here are excerpts from two Ray Crippen columns about Tiny Little:

By now it is necessary to remind: Big Tiny is the son of Irvin (Tiny) Little, whose band from the 1930s and 1940s was one of the great Midwestern bands of that era. The Littles lived at 814 Third Ave.

In this same vein, Irvine Little was a big man. He was known everywhere as Tiny. The Tiny Little Orchestra is a legend. Lawrence Welk gave Tiny’s son Dudley, the ragtime pianist, a kind of ultimate nickname: Big Tiny Little Junior.

Ray’s written more about Big Tiny Little than about Tiny Little, as far as I can tell.

Next post at 9 a.m.

7 Responses to 1934: Free Spanish and French Classes

1. Arnie says:

Kari, the best place for you to search for information on Big Tiny Little are your Ray Crippen archives.

2. Arnie says:

Wait a minute…Big Tiny Little was Tiny Little’s son. The story is about the father. Still, I’d ask Ray.

3. T Simpson says:

I just searched yesterday for some info on Big Tiny Little (Tiny’s son) and there is some stuff on him even at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Tiny_Little
    Not much on his dad.
    My dad played drums a few times with Big Tiny Little.

4. Avatar of Kari Lucin Kari Lucin says:

Got it and edited the post! Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

But yeah, there was a lot more about Big Tiny than Tiny Little himself.

5. Sharon Gratton says:

I am from Milton, North Dakota and I am searching for Dudley’Tiny’Little Jr. The person that wants to get in contact with Dudley lived in the basement of his father’s home in Worthington, Minnesota. He and Dudley were good friends for many years. He would like for Dudley (Tiny Little Jr.) to contact him. His name is Dewey Witzel and he lives in Langdon, North Dakota. His phone number is 701-256-2080. I was asked by a friend of Dewey’s to try and find Tiny for him. Please, if anyone can help get this information to Tiny, please do for me as this man was so happy with the little information I have gotten so far. Please email me at my home address which is grathrs@utma.com or call me on my cell number which is 701-305-0333. I am at Lompoc, California now visiting family and I will be here till the 17th of November and then I am going back to Vegas for a few days before I head home to North Dakota. There are probably 40 some people that live in the town of Milton so we all know each other well.

I was in Las Vegas last week and my host at the Palace Station Casino got the information for me He said he remembered seeing Big Tiny Little playing piano at one of the casino’s many years ago when he was young. My host is 62 now and he was so wonderful to me when I was staying at the Palace Station. I also have a friend, who’s father played with Lawrence Welk’s Band for a few years. His name was Ted Thronsedt and he played accordian and the mouth organ and guitar. His daughter, Carleen, and I have been friends for 42 years and her father Ted was 95 when he passed away in August of 2007. I am sure Tiny Little Jr. would remember him also .. He was born and raised in the Osnabrock, North Dakota area which is close to Langdon, North Dakota.

Thank you for helping me with this information. I will be anxious to hear from someone who could personally contact Dudley for me … Thank you again… Sharon Gratton

6. Sharon Gratton says:

7. Erin Ayalla says:

Ran across this sight. Don’t know if you were ever able to get in contact with him, but I am Dudley’s daughter. He passed away on Wed. night 3/3/10.