Here are a few little snippets of historical things I’ve come across in the past month or so. (Many are from BoingBoing.net.)
- How the Oregon Trail came to be in 1971. No, not the real-life one, the awesome educational video game kids tried to finish keyboarding early for in order to play.
- A rail zeppelin from 1931. Yes, it’s as weird-looking as it sounds.
- A war-time coffee ad from 1919. Somehow I doubt the troops’ coffee was that great.
- Science fiction has apparently practically always been considered nerdy and weird… humbug to ’em!
- Check out the Yosemite Firefall. It’s not there anymore, but it was a manmade tradition at the park for a long time.
- Here are color pictures of San Francisco… from 1906, after the earthquake.